At the end of June 2014, Het Retorisch Kwartet will perform a concert programme near Groningen and Rotterdam, with music by Orlando di Lasso and Leonhard Lechner. Lasso was born in Mons/Hainaut in 1532 and died in 1594 in Munich. He was a prolific composer. For this concert we will present various facets of Lassus’ music: airy madrigals alongside the beautiful and dark La Nuict froide et sombre. As well as secular works we will present some of his sacred music, such as the chromaticism of Christe Dei soboles and the polyphony of the first Lamentations of Jeremiah.
Leonard Lechner was born in 1553 in South Tyrol (northern Italy) and died in 1606 in Stuttgart. Lasso and Lechner crossed paths in Munich, where Lasso was for a long time choir master at the court of Albrecht V. As a boy, Lechner sang Lasso’s choir. This program clearly shows the transition from Lasso’s late-polyphonic style - the legacy of the great Flemish tradition - to the first signs of the trends from Italy that would radically change the music.
In summary, we will hear the transition from di Lasso’s highly developed compositional sophistication to Lechner’s more emotionally expressive music.
- Friday, 27 June 2014, 8:15 pm
Dorpskerk Rhoon, Dorpsdijk 65, Rhoon
- Saturday, 28 June 2014, 8:15 pm
Middeleeuwse kerk Zuidwolde, Boterdiep Westzijde 43, Zuidwolde (Groningen)
Entrance: €10, including tea or coffee.
- O occhi, manza mia - Orlando di Lasso (1532-1594)
- Madonna mia, pieta - Orlando di Lasso
- La nuict froide et sombre - Orlando di Lasso
- Christe Dei soboles - Orlando di Lasso
- Lamentationes Jermiae Prophetae (Feria 5ta in coena Domini, Lamentatio prima) - Orlando di Lasso
- Welcher wird mir ein’ bringen - Leonard Lechner (c. 1553 – 1606)
- Ach, wer wird mir mein’ Geist mit Freuden stillen - Lechner
- Die mir mein Herz mit Freud erfüllt - Lechner
- Mein süße Freud auf Erden - Lechner
- Deutsche Sprüche von Leben und Tod - Lechner